CIRRUS ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL ENROLLMENT PROCEDURES 2017-2018
The application for student enrollment is available on the CACS website under the admissions tab. This application does not guarantee enrollment, but rather includes the child’s name in either the first round of consideration or in the school’s lottery should a slot not be immediately available.
Parents of students who are currently enrolled at CACS for the 2016-2017 school year do NOT need to reapply for 2017-2018 but will need to declare their intentions. Parents of currently enrolled students will need to declare their intentions regarding desired re-enrollment by completing and submitting an Intended Re-Enrollment Form.
Parents of students who are currently enrolled at CACS and have siblings who would like to be enrolled for the 2017-2018 school year, will need to submit an application for the sibling.
* A sibling is considered a blood relative (brother or sister) to the enrolled student.
* A step-brother/sister is considered a sibling provided the child is living in the same household with the enrolled student.
* An adopted child is considered a sibling provided the child is living in the same household with the enrolled student.
* Siblings must complete a pre-admission application but will be given priority admissions status.
All individuals who have submitted an application during the open application period will be notified electronically.
* Notice of enrollment will begin on the 10th Business day in April 2017. Parents of children who are allocated a student slot will receive an email or text message (depending on preference that was indicated on the admission application). After the notification has been sent, parents will have 3 days to accept or deny the offer for enrollment. If a parent fails to respond within 3 days, the child’s name will be placed on the waiting list.
* The following procedures are established to ensure an objective, orderly, fair and truly random enrollment process.
The Enrollment Officer is responsible for ensuring that all applicants within the lottery pool are verified, that qualified individuals are conducting the lottery, that the lottery procedure is established and tested and that the names of all families who are eligible for or subject to the lottery are included in the lottery pool.
* Prior to the lottery, CACS will hold a drawing to determine in what order each grade level will be called at the lottery. Members of PTO must be present at that time and a CACS Student Ambassador will draw the numbers.
* The lottery will be conducted by a qualified lottery administrator.
* Georgia law provides that a CACS may give enrollment preference to a sibling of a student enrolled in the school, a student whose parent or guardian is a member of the governing board of the charter school, or is a full-time teacher, professional, or other employee at the charter school.
* For those grades in which there are no available seats, the lottery process will be conducted to determine wait list order. The CACS shall determine if enrollment preference and lottery preference rules shall apply in the case of grades with no available slots, particularly as it relates to waiting list preference. *Note: Only siblings of currently enrolled students, children of individuals employed by the CACS, or children of CACS Governing Board members shall be given priority.
* The lottery process as well as any irregularities will be documented in writing as well as a record of any corrective action measures taken to overcome an irregularity.
* The school’s governing board shall make provisions for the CEO/Superintendent Principal or her designee to retain the authority to take any and all actions necessary to correct or remedy an irregularity at their discretion as deemed necessary to maintain an objective, orderly, fair and truly random lottery process. Any such discretion, when exercised must comply with state law and be documented in writing.
* After the lottery has taken place, a wait list application will be available. Submission to the wait list will be accepted on a first-come first-serve method. For example, applicants’ names will be added to the wait list in the order they are received via the electronic application. The wait list remains active until the next lottery is held.
* When an opening becomes available in a grade level, the first applicant on the wait list will be contacted via email. The parent/guardian will be given 72 hours (3 days) to respond. If there is no response, the Enrollment Officer will move to the next applicant on the wait list.
* If it becomes necessary to pull from the wait list within the week prior to school starting or after school has begun, the first 3 applicants on the wait list will be contacted and the first one to respond (within 24 hours) will be given the opportunity to enroll – so as to speed up enrollment.
CIRRUS ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs) ABOUT ENROLLMENT
When is Open Enrollment?
Cirrus Academy Charter School accepts student applications year-round. You are strongly encouraged to submit applications for the 2017-2018 school year as soon as possible.
What is the maximum enrollment for each grade level?
Can We Transfer to CACS During the School Year?
Yes – but, that totally depends on space availability. We may have a waiting list in your student’s grade level. You will need to fill out an application*available online* and the Registrar will let you know the status. Making the move during the current school year ensures priority for a spot for the next year.
What Do I Need to Bring with Me to Put in an Application?
You may print the application from our website or complete one at the School. You will need to provide a copy of each applicant’s Social Security Card and Birth Certificate.
Can a Student Be Denied Admission?
Yes, CACS Academy may exclude students with a documented history of a criminal offense, juvenile court adjudication or a documented history of discipline problems at previous schools. All new students with a documented history of a criminal offense, juvenile court adjudication or discipline problems at previous schools will go through an interview process with the campus Principal to determine final admission approval.
How Does The Waiting List Work?
Once Open-Enrollment is completed on the 10th Business day in April, a lottery is conducted on the applications received during Open-Enrollment and the initial group of applicants have been notified, then the balance of applications are placed on a waiting list. When an opening occurs in that grade level the parent of the applicant who is next on the waiting list is notified. [See below] You are contacted immediately via email or phone and must begin the enrollment process and complete it in a timely manner or your spot will be forfeited.
What are Student Placement Priorities
* Siblings of current CACS students will have priority placement for any openings. (If there is more than one sibling needing a spot in a grade, a drawing will be held.)
* Faculty and staff member’s children are next in priority placement.
* Balance of student names are drawn once all siblings of current CACS students and children of teachers and staff members are placed.
* Applications received after the 10th Business day in April are held separately. Once the waiting list for that grade level is depleted, then all the applications received after the 10th Business day in April become the new waiting list for that grade for the duration of the school year.
* If there is an opening in the grade level at the time an application is submitted and there is no waiting list, that applicant will begin the enrollment process at that time.
What Happens If All of My Children Don’t Get in?
CACS strives to accommodate families. Unfortunately, sometimes one or more of the siblings may end up on a waiting list until we have space for them. Siblings of currently enrolled students do have priority and are moved to the top of the waiting list for placement.
Do You Offer Tours of Your Campuses?
Yes, tours are offered during Open House events and by appointment. Interested individuals are strongly encouraged to participate in Open House events. If they are unable to do so appointments for tours can be arranged.
Where Do We Submit a CACS Student Application?
Cirrus Academy Charter School 1870 Pio Nono Avenue Macon, GA 31204 478.250.1376
What are the CACS office hours?
• During the School Year: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 2:00pm
• Summer Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:00am until 4:00pm and Friday 8:00am – 12:00pm